Help & Support

New Customer Approved Finance Existing Customer Dealership Other

New Customers   

Covid-19 Help

How does finance work?

Hire purchase is a way of buying a vehicle on finance, where the loan is secured against the vehicle. You may need to pay a deposit towards the car, then make fixed monthly or weekly payments over an agreed period of time. This means you don't own the vehicle until the last payment has been made. 

What is my credit file?

Your credit file is a collection of information about your payment history for the products or credit you have taken out including how well you have managed these payments over time. Take a look at our YouTube Channel for more information about Credit Files.

What can you see on your credit file?

You can see all of the different credit accounts you have had over the last 6 years. Examples of this information could include mobile phone contracts, utility bills, payday loans, mortgages and hire purchases. They also display past and current issues around missed payments, IVAs, CCJs and Bankruptcies. You can find out more about different factors which can present themselves on your file and how they can have an affect on the strength of your file by watching the handy clip below, or visiting our blog.

I have an IVA, can I get credit?

We cannot finance people in current financial difficulty; however we will consider financing people who have past credit issues. 

If you've had difficulty with obtaining credit in the past (this may be as a result of missed payments, being self employed or having little to show on your credit file) then we may also be able to help. When you apply, we will have a conversation with you to understand your situation and why you're classed as having 'bad credit'. 

Unlike most finance companies, we don't always use automatic systems to review the applications we receive. This means most of the time, we are able to talk to you to take personal situations into account and it is possible that we're more likely to be able to help you.

I have a provisional licence can I apply for credit?

Yes, you can apply for our hire purchase product even if you have a provisional licence. 

Considering taking out finance?

Take a look at the clip below, and ask yourself if you're doing the following when considering taking out any form of finance.

What is the best finance option for me?

Hire Purchase agreements are secured against the vehicle you are purchasing and as a result the funds are paid directly to the dealer and you would not own the vehicle until the finance has been paid off in full along with any ownership fees. Personal loans are unsecured and as a result the funds, if approved, will be sent directly to your account.

Approved Finance  

Covid-19 Help

When can I expect to hear from FRFL?

After you have made an application, provided we have the correct details, we aim to get back to you within 1 working day with either a decision or for further information.

When or how do I get a list of dealers?

If you contact us on 0115 9466260 then choose option 3, we can provide you with a list of approved dealers in your area.

Can I change the dealer I want to use to get my vehicle?

As long as your new dealer is on our approved list, then yes, we can continue to provide you with finance.

Existing Customers  

Covid-19 Help

My pay date has changed, what do I do?

To change your monthly Direct Debit date, please contact our Account Management Team directly on 01942 686686. Our team will be happy to help you change this to a more suitable date in the month or week that works for you.

I have missed a payment, or my next payment will be later - what should I do?

We pride ourselves on taking care of our customers, and where possible we can discuss other options we could put in place to help you through any financial difficulties you may be experiencing. Please do get in touch with the Account Management Team directly on 01942 686686 as soon as you have concerns. We can then make sure the right steps are taken to ensure we can support  you as much as we can, each step of the way. 

How do I get a settlement figure?

You can also request settlement figures at any time by emailing us on or by calling us on 01942 686686. If you have access to the customer portal, this information is also on the portal.

What is my remaining balance?

By logging into your account via the customer portal, you will be able to access your current balance.

I have personal information I would like to share...

If you have any personal information you would like to share with us, you can call one of our helpful account managers on 01942 686686 or if you would prefer to email us here, putting your agreement number in the subject box.

I'm struggling, what should I do?

We believe that we put our customers at the heart of everything we do, and aim to help wherever possible. If you feel you are struggling, please get in touch with our Account Management Team on 01942 686686 or you can seek free independent advice advice from a choice of trusted organisations; 

Business Debtline - A charity giving free debt advice to small businesses and self-employed people. 
Phone - 0800 197 6026 - Monday to Friday 9am-8pm
Web - 

Citizens Advice Bureau - For advice and information on debt and other topics, visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau.
Phone - 03454 04 05 06 - Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Web -

Money Advice Service - For free, unbiased and easy-to-access money tools, information and advice.
Phone - 0800 138 7777 - Monday to Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 9am-1pm.
Web -

Illegal Money Lending Task Force - For free independent advice and support on money lenders who aren’t authorised to lend money.
Phone: 0300 555 2222 – 24/7
Or complete an online reporting form at

How do I find interest rate?

This can be found on your agreement or by logging into the portal. 


Covid-19 Help

How do I start a working with FRFL?

In order to work with First Response Finance you will need to be registered as an authorised dealership with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and ideally be registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).

How do I get updates on applications?

Please sign into the dealer portal to access application updates.

How can FRFL support me with sales?

Please review our point of sales guide

This can be found on your agreement or by logging into the portal here, please get in touch if you need any further assistance.


Who sells me the vehicle, and what if there are issues?

Once your finance is agreed, we release money directly to the garage, meaning the dealership sold First Response Finance the vehicle. A Hire Purchase agreement means that we have bought the vehicle from the garage and we have agreed to hire it to you over a set period of time whilst you make payment for it. Although you have all the documents, e.g. registered keeper's documents the vehicle belongs to First Response Finance until you pay the loan in full.

If you experience any issues with the vehicle you have on Hire Purchase, please make us aware. Your financial contract is with us so we need to be informed at all times regarding the condition of the vehicle, and we always recommend going back to the garage where you originally bought the vehicle with any complaints regarding the vehicle itself. Once both parties are aware, it is likely we will ask for further information regarding the dealership so we can make contact with them and assist the situation if need be.

If you have an issue please contact our Customer Experience team on 0115 946 6368.

Is First Response linked to an accident claims company?

No. First Response Finance does not operate within the accident claims arena and is not associated with any similarly named businesses in any manner.

We have been informed by members of the public that a company using the business name ‘First Response’ is contacting them regarding accident claims, but please be assured this is a different company who we have no affiliation with.

If you are contacted and feel harassed by this company we would advise you to make a note of the telephone number you received the call from and report your concerns to the Information Commissioners Office and add your own number to the Telephone Preference Service, both links are below.

ICO Website TPS Website

Back to top